Saturday, September 19, 2009

Funny For Real?

D'Funnybone was racing today to show the racing world that his win last out was not a product of a bad field. In dominating fashion he answered that question with an empathetic Yes, I'm for real, when winning easily again, by 4 1/4 in the Futurity.

Tracking a hot pace that had a torrid opening quarter and half mile, he took command and kicked away from the second place finisher Discreetly Mine. I will say that I was impressed to see this colt run so powerfully in this race, because the last time I wrote about him I was telling everyone not to get too excited over him. I had said his last win was merely the product of the rest of the field backing up due to quick early fractions.

My only thing with him now is can he stretch out to 9 or 10 furlongs and still run the same fractions and still produce the same kick. His breeding tells me he won't. I actually am looking more at the runner up of the Futurity Discreetly Mine, whose sire is Mineshaft. Mineshaft foals only get better with time, plus Mineshaft's sire AP Indy was a Belmont winner, which gives me even more confidence in Discreetly Mine. I know he was just beaten, and soundly, but the colt had a nightmare of a trip, breaking slow being taken up, bottled up, moved inside, then back outside in the stretch run. This colt's trip was every bit as horrible as D'Funnybone's was perfect.

Nonetheless, I will admit my first impression of D'Funnybone, was probably wrong, but he still is not one of my favorites to make the starting gate of next years Kentucky Derby.

Regal Runs Big

Godolphin has been on a roll lately, and Regal Ransom continued it, with an incredibly easy win in the Grade two Super Derby. I thought this colt towered over the field when I first saw the line up that was going to try and beat him.

Going off at 7/5 and coming off a 4 1/2 month layoff, Regal Ransom broke first and never looked back. His first quarter went in a slow 24.05 and his half a sauntering 49.03. When I saw that I said to myself the rest of the field just shot themselves in the foot. Regal Ransom is a quality speed horse, who has show the ability to demolish the field when allowed an easy lead, and this lead was as easy as could ask for. Then, to make it even worse they let him get away with a 1.13.11 three quarters! Once asked for run Regal Ransom kicked away to a five length lead, then was wrapped up on early, winning by about one length in 1.49.63.

This colt, though not one of my favorites, could come back next year to be a very good older male. I know how easy his fractions on the lead was, but I'll respect any horse that can close the last three eighths in 36.52 seconds, while being eased in the final yards. I would keep an eye out for this colt next year in the handicap division. He'll be making his presence felt if able to return next year.

2 comments:

  1. D'Funnybone looks like the best 2-year-old in the country right now...but you are right distance will be the question. My guess is he is not going to own the roses come first Saturday in May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think he'll go past 9 furlongs. Discreetly Mine looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete